Sunday, October 07, 2007

Dard-e-Disco - Om Shanti Om

Playback - Sukhwinder Singh

Music - Vishal-Shekhar

Lyrics - Javed Akhtar

(I was actually wondering what's wrong with JA this time.. but read somewhere that the 'dumb character' that SRK plays in the film demanded something like that)

Om Shanti Om in the first place, reminds me of the famous Rishi Kapoor Song 'Om Shanti Om' from the movie Karz which is a fantastic song!

Apparently, in Farah Khan's Om Shanti Om (OSO) the movie is filmed in parts like the 70s and now- the 21st century where SRK is Om once and Om again.. and I guess that's why SRK and Shreyas Talpade have those weird hair-dos.. but I think Deepika Padukone looks really pretty.

In this song, Dard-e-Disco - I think Sukhwinder has sung it really well, I like the way the song starts - it's got this nice Arabic feel to it!

The video is shot with Shahrukh Khan bear chested + a 6-pack which in my opinion is UGLY!
I know it's a lot of hard work that's gone into his look or whatever it is.. but really not something I liked.

The song's got a nice, foot-tapping beat to it, well sung and should linger for quite some time!
It's also got an English verse in the song (Vishal-Shekhar trademark is it?).. actually I do remember a friend telling me that it was the group 'Strings' which actually started the English lyrics in a Hindi song because it was 'needed' and that now people are using it just like that!
I wonder.. and I think it's nice as long as it sounds good and not just to make the song more 'hip'.

If you watch Sa Re Ga Ma Pa on Zee TV, it's a music based show which is a nice platform for aspiring singers.. Vishal-Shekhar are judges in the current season & Farah Khan, Deepika Padukone & Shreyas Talpade were guest judges in last week's episodes where the contestants were singing songs from OSO.. and Raja who is one of the top3 contestants, sang this song.. and I think he sang it really well! In fact, Farah Khan also went on to tell Vishal-Shekhar that in the next batch of the audio cds and cassettes there should be a Raja Version.. I think it's just a nice way of showing appreciation even if they 'actually' don't ad a Raja version...

And what Dard-e-disco means.. I really don't know.. it's just a nice song!

P.S. On the same day on STAR Voice of India - we had the Saawariya trio of Sanjay Leela Bhansali with Ranbir & Sonam Kapoor ... now that's taking the competition all the way!!

No comments: